Physical and / or Sensory
Sensory and/or physical needs (children and young people who require special educational provision because of their disability. This includes vision and deaf and hard of hearing – or multi-sensory impairment – and some children with a physical disability who may require additional support to access all the opportunities available to their peers). Please also see our accessibility plan.
WHAT IS THE UNIVERSAL OFFER PHYSICAL AND/OR SENSORY?
Quality first teaching may include:
- pupil seating arrangements
- adaptation of materials being used e.g. size of print / colour paper / overlays
- multi- sensory learning
At both schools, some adaptations have been made to the physical environment including a loop system for hearing in two classrooms, a lift (St Edmund’s) and some external ramps.
WHAT IS THE TARGETED OFFER FOR PHYSICAL AND/OR SENSORY?
Provision is monitored through a 4-part cycle: Assess Plan, Do, and Review (as highlighted in the new SEN Code of Practice).
The following interventions are used:
- Sensory circuits
- Gym trail (St Joes)
- Motor skills united programme (St Eds)
- Handwriting interventions using Write from the Start
- Touch typing
The following strategies and access arrangements to support learning may include:
- Visual and practical resources.
- Less mark-making expected.
- Regular rest breaks or movement breaks.
- Children may need special seating
- Extra support for self-care
- Use low-tech resources such as modified scissors or a slope on the table
- Children are helped to be independent learners
- Some reminders or pictures to bring children back to a task
- Give children extra time to answer questions.
- Make sure children have opportunities to learn to organise themselves appropriately
- Increased use of alternative methods for children to show their learning
WHAT IS THE SPECIALIST OFFER FOR PHYSICAL AND OR SENSORY?
Support and guidance may come from a variety of professionals including Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Health Professionals, Specialist Education Service and Specialist advisory teaching service for Physical or Sensory Disability.